Democrats have been working as hard as they can to ignore the huge mess on the border. Since Biden took office, he’s let in millions of illegal aliens. Numerous lives have been lost as Biden turns a blind eye to drug cartels and other criminals flooding the border. States like Texas and Arizona have demanded help from the White House, only to be ignored.
But Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is not taking this crisis lying down. After securing his re-election, he is on the warpath to secure his state’s border with Mexico. Many border towns have called on him to declare an invasion and take bold steps to end the crisis. And now, he’s doing just that.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) announced Tuesday that he invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. and Texas Constitutions to deal with President Joe Biden’s (D) immigration crisis on the southern border…
Abbott announced the following steps that the state of Texas would take to address the problem:
- Deploy the National Guard to safeguard the border, and to repel and turn back immigrants trying to cross the border illegally;
- Deploy the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) to arrest and return immigrants to the border who crossed illegally, and to arrest illegal immigrants for criminal activity;
- Build a wall in multiple counties on the border;
- Deploy gun boats;
- Designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations;
- Enter into a compact with other states to secure the border;
- Enter into agreements with foreign powers to enhance border security;
- Provide resources for border counties to increase their efforts to respond to the “border invasion.”
[Source: Daily Wire]
Woah. This is a pretty big deal. Numerous towns and even sheriffs requested Gov. Abbott to declare the border crisis an invasion. But he was silent earlier in the year. I guess his re-election signaled that Texans were on Abbott’s side in securing the open border.
So, he declared the flood of illegal aliens an official invasion, much like an enemy army invading the country. This declaration gives the state power to secure the border like never before. Among the things Abbott will be doing include deploying more National guardsmen to protect the border.
Previously, they offered support for Border Patrol. But now they will be empowered to detain and return illegal aliens over the border. Abbott will also build a wall across the border in “multiple counties.” He is also deploying gunboats to secure waterways, a frequent means of crossing into the country.
Abbott is taking no prisoners. This declaration will also enable Texas to partner with other states and even foreign countries to work on solutions. From all appearances, this move is circumventing Joe Biden, seeking solutions the White House should have implemented two years ago.
This move will certainly slow down illegal immigration. But many aliens will simply divert to Arizona (which will soon be led by a Democrat governor) and California (which has done nothing to secure the border). The real solutions will only come when Congress bothers to do something.
We might not see that until after 2024.
Author: Max Davis